The old church of Thundridge village, situated in the valley near
the river Rib, about half a mile from the North Road in Hertfordshire was demolished - with the exception of the tower
in 1853. A great part of the material was used in the restoration of Sacomb Church. It was one of the oldest churches
in this part of the county, and the low, semi-circular arch which connected with the nave, is enriched with a magnificent
example of Norman moulding, which indicates the period of its building to have been about the year 1100.
Not a vestige of the church itself now remains; it is impossible
even to trace its foundations, as the entire churchyard, and the site of the building itself, is covered with a vast growth
of weeds and briars.
In more recent times Thundridge old Church has become infamous with
Satanic rituals and Devil worshiping in it's many forms. All attempts at securing the tower against intrusion have proved
fruitless as even bricks and mortar have not kept the determined out.
In 1989 the tower was surveyed as a potential
transmitter site by the pirate radio station WGFM, but due to the dangerous state of the structure and the regular interruption
from devil worshipers equipment was never installed.
In a bid to end the demonic attraction of the church tower
there have been calls for it to be demolished but the complex red tape regarding consecration and human remains have thus
far prevented it's final demise.