St. Mary’s Church is situated on rising ground
to the east of Hertingfordbury village, overlooking the water meadows that lead down to the River Mimram. A church seems
to have stood on this spot as early as the 13th century. Construction is mainly of local flints with stone dressing, and the
roof is tiled. Extensive alterations and restorations were carried out in 1845 and 1890. Inside the church is some interesting
alabaster work, including the pulpit, and oak carvings by a native of Oberammergau.
The churchyard contains the unmarked grave of Jane Wenham,
erroneously believed to be the last person to be sentenced to death for witchcraft in England. She was condemned by a Hertford
court in 1712 but was given a reprieve from the death sentence and later granted a Royal pardon by Queen Anne. Originally
from Walkern her cause was adopted by William Cowper, 1st Earl Cowper, and she lived out her days in a cottage on his land
Also buried in the churchyard are members of the Cowper
family, and Benjamin Truman, owner of the Truman Brewery in the 18th Century. An American heiress, Pauline Payne Whitney,
who had married Lord Queenborough, is buried there as is their daughter, Dorothy Paget,a racehorse owner, whose horses won
the Cheltenham Gold Cup seven times and the Champion Hurdle four. Her funeral procession included a string of race horses,
whose jockeys included Gordon Richards.