Built in 1855, Holy Trinity Church serves the parish
of Bengeo, Hertford. With the rapid expansion of housing along Bengeo Street in the mid 1800's the population was outgrowing
the original church of St Leonard's so it was decided a new larger church was needed in a more centralised location.
Benjamin Ferrey was appointed architect and the material
of choice for the build was Kentish ragstone quarried from near Maidstone. Two building contractors were chosen for the
work with local (and still active) firm "Ekins" responsible for the tower and steeple.
Although the graveyard is now closed for burials the
church remain an active hub of the local community along with St Leonard's which is still used for services during the summer months.
The graveyard contains a wide variety of monuments with
common sandstone headstones, chest tombs, an oak grave board, stone birdbath and an impressive marble angel.
Photos were taken August 2014.